Exchange is using my real name

Help with any aspect of using the program that is not covered by the offical Help site at www.orphalesehelp.com.

Moderators: Programmer, purple_scorp

SOWMagick

Exchange is using my real name

Post by SOWMagick »

When I upload anything to the exchange it uses my full real name. I'd much rather it use my account username if possible? Who should I contact or what setting should I change? TIA!
Programmer
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Re: Exchange is using my real name

Post by Programmer »

Hi SOWMagick, actually what is happening is the name that appears on the deck is whatever name you used when you uploaded it, but by default the name would be your registered user name. When you upload the deck you see a window like this:
Deck Share.jpg
Deck Share.jpg (55.69 KiB) Viewed 3356 times
The "Shared By" text area is where you put the name you would like to use. The program lets you put whatever you like in that field. You could actually share different decks under different names if you wanted to. For the decks you have already uploaded you can easily update them by going into "Shared Decks" in the Exchange and then pressing "Share or Update Deck". You would then need to browse for the deck you uploaded originally and upload it again with the desired sharers name (which will be remembered as the default for the next time you upload a deck).

You might wonder why you have to browse for the deck you want to update and why you can't just choose it in the list of your shared decks and choose to edit it. This is because in your file structure you could potentially have decks with the same name (in different folders). On the other hand on the file exchange each deck is uniquely identified by its name and the user who shared it (i.e. the real identity of the user, not the alias they chose to use at the time). So you might decide you want to edit "Foo Deck" but there might be more than one "Foo Deck" in your collection, however on the deck exchange there can only be one, so when you upload "Foo Deck" it will overwrite anything you might have uploaded before.

This explanation was probably more long winded than it needed to be but I think the deck share is a little bit unintuitive in this sense so I wanted to explain how it works. Please let me know if you still have any trouble editing the sharer name!
SOWMagick

Re: Exchange is using my real name

Post by SOWMagick »

I figured that out with the deck share - I put up one the other day. However when I upload a spread I don't get this same option. I appreciate the long explanations. I like knowing how things work! I design websites so tech is my game ;)