Changing preferences

Any other posts...

Moderators: Programmer, WebWeaver, WillowsHeart

furrytarot

Changing preferences

Post by furrytarot »

When I got the latest email I realised that the email account in my preferences is one I almost never check.

I'm still on version 8.1 (I'm on XP, but shall soon be switching the programme to a Win 7 machine) and when I try and access the preferences there - all I have is "tarot zone" !) it constantly throws up an error message (An error occurred which may prevent you from connecting). So I can't seem to change them. If I try anything I get an "unhandled exception - object reference not set to an instance of an object" message.

Any suggestions ?
purple_scorp
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Re: Changing preferences

Post by purple_scorp »

Hi furrytarot,

What web browser are you using? I am on XP computer using Chrome and don't get an error in the forum. I do, however, get a notice from Chrome at the top of the browser saying they are no longer supporting Vista (little do they know that I have XP which is even older than Vista).

Try a different browser (hopefully you will be able to find an older version browser to download).

Regards
purple_scorp
Programmer
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Post by Programmer »

Hi FurryTarot,

Actually it sounds to me like you are getting the error from the program itself, right? I can't remember the exact dates but I moved the server quite a few times in the last few years, so if you are still using version 8.1 it is almost certainly because the program is trying to connect to the server in its old location.

You could try installing the current version of the program on XP. Although Microsoft doesn't support XP any more the program uses .NET 4 and according to this article it can be installed on XP https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dotnet/p/dotnet4xp/.

If you want to wait until you get the new machine you could always send me a note of your preferred email address via the contact form on the website and I will update it directly in the database for you.
Programmer
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Post by Programmer »

Just as a post script, Linda gave you the best advice if the profile you need to update is your Forum profile. Your profile for the program itself is entirely separate, to update that you would need to install a later version of the program as per my post.

It is not a great situation that they are two separate databases. At some point I plan to bring it all back under one umbrella again. But the important thing to keep up to date is your profile for the program itself. That is the email address that would be used if you lost your unlock code for the program and needed to recover it, for example. The one in the forum database is only used to notify you when someone replied to yours posts and things like that. Anyone can set up a Forum account at any time so if you can't access that for some reason even with a different browser you could just set up a new Forum account with the new email address.
furrytarot

Post by furrytarot »

Thank you, programmer, for fixing this, and purple_scorp for your help. It wasn't the programme, it was the forum - and as I was locked out, I couldn't say anything. For the record, for other users, it seems if you change your email address (which was what I did) you are automatically deactivated by the software while it checks to see if it was really you, or something. And - well, all over now. But it may happen to someone else - I can't be the only person to have fired aol... :lafff