Bug reports, feature suggestions etc...

Moderators: Programmer, WebWeaver, WillowsHeart

MysticEast
Evaluation User
Evaluation User

Faults with Spreads and Settings

Post by MysticEast »

Hi Richard,
awhile back I promised a few more bug reports, when I'd decided if they were consistent. Here are four.
I'm using Orphalese 10.0.3.3

1) If you've done a spread, but want to compare the notes or images from several decks, when you open the second deck the cards replacing the already Spread Cards do not size correctly (like they used to)now they come out with a much larger size, than either that specified in the Deck or in the Spread! The sizes are so large that it makes it impossible to use. You HAVE to gather and re-Spread. Not good! I consider this a serious problem in usablity of the Program in real everyday situations...
Please make it so that you can compare the notes/images of many Decks for your reading (like before).

2) In the Deck Share Program to get your chosen settings to apply, you must open the options, (where your chosen settings are correctly remembered, but just not all applied)
Now some of those settings ARE always applied - eg "Safe Search is On/Off", however the setting I like, to get just one page of results on my size monitor (Number of results to request - 26) this one is not applied unless I open the settings every time.

3) When having done a Spread with one Deck then changed that Deck for another and then doing a reading and saving it, if the PREVIOUS Spread had "Spread Notes", those appear in this Spread's Notes Position. A Clear fault. It has happened oftten enough for me to think that it may be an always happens fault?

4) A similar fault in the Save Readings Dialogue. The setting to include/not include the Screen Image. I'd like to be able to leave that permanenently switched off - because if I go back to a reading I'll be looking at the full Spread in Orphalese, not in a Rich Text Word Processor. Therefore I simply don't need the Screen Shot, which simply takes up un-necessary disk space and saving time. (Anyway the screen shot doesn't use transparency, which for many of my decks makes it more or less useless... It also doesn't have the correct background for the Deck...)
Currently I have to de-select this every time....

Hope you can verify these and do something in the next version...

Regards
MysticEast
Programmer
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Re: Faults with Spreads and Settings

Post by Programmer »

OK, thanks for posting these. Actually I am working on a new program release now (version 10.1) so I will make sure and look at all these issues.
MysticEast
Evaluation User
Evaluation User

Post by MysticEast »

Hi, I just noticed another. Probably a "transient fault", which won't happen in normal use - but you might want to look it out...

I had just done some notes on one Deck. It happened to be one of the Minchiate Decks. I closed the Notes dialogue. I then went to change to the other Minchiate Deck I have, to see if I could apply the name names and notes to both. I was greeted with the error message (twice in quick succession) that this Deck had the Old Style Notes without Card Names. It then opened the Deck.

Like I said not a critical error, but it might be one you might want to work out what is going on (if you have time!) I had CLOSED the Note Editing Tool before opening the other!

Regards
MysticEast

A further comment for future improvement:-
Yes the second "Minchiate" did have existing notes - a strange mixture of Spanish and English as it happens - and I was hoping to use the "Zoom on Card" Tool to "Call Up" the Card Names I'd done with the other Deck and visually see if they were the same.
I found that I couldn't do that and had to go to the Decks Folder and re-name the existing notes "....OLD.xml" and then copy over the Card Notes I'd just done on the other Deck.
Obviously the Minchiate Tarots are "Not-Standard"! but I'd hoped that in the list of recently used Decks I could select it and get those Card Names to view temporarilly if they would fit. That didn't work, but called up the whole of the other Deck instead.
Yes that's how the "Zoom on Card" tool is supposed to work - so you can't change that - however it might be nice for those sorting out difficult Non-Standard decks if perhaps a right click on the list didn't load the whole Deck, but only the Card Notes??? Or brought up a dialogue list of "What to do with that Deck Item.

a) Load the Deck
b) Load it's Card Names only
c) Can't currently think of any other useful choices...

or another route to the same would be to have in the "Select Schema" Drop down a list of Recently used Deck's as well as any "Standard Schemas" plus the current Deck's own Schema?

Just a thought! Just and Idea...
Programmer
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Post by Programmer »

Re your first message:

1) I couldn't repeat this because I am not really sure what you are doing. Are you dealing a spread with one deck and then opening a second deck and dealing the exact same spread over the top of the first one? Or are you changing decks within the same deck form? I tried various combinations of this but couldn't make the cards appear anything other than normal size. Are you sure you haven't maybe fixed that larger size for the second deck?

2) Fixed

3) If I understand you right I think this is correct behaviour. You deal a spread with one deck out. Then you change decks but the cards are still in the position of the spread. Then you save it as a reading. I think it is right that the spread position notes are part of the reading because those notes belong to the spread, not the deck. If you wanted to make sure the spread was completely cleared you could gather the cards.

4) Fixed
MysticEast
Evaluation User
Evaluation User

Post by MysticEast »

Hi Richard,
sorry that I wasn't clear enough on point 1) or 3). I'll try to be more specific.

1) This is a size issue, and I checked, and you're partly wright in your answer, but there still is a genuine issue...

Lets use 78 Card Tarot Decks to make for clarity and a nice large spread like the Celtic.

Before I start, I have most of my Decks "Sized" at about half a screen height so that when I'm not doing a spread I can "Symbol Gaze" at a reasonable size! So with a large spread like the Celtic the cards are "Downsized" by the spread, so that they don't overlap.

So taking the "Druidcraft" Deck and Spreading the cards, they are well sized by the spread. All tickety boo!
Then leaving that spread still there! - and changing to the "Merlin" Deck, the cards come out all overlapped and I have to press - at least half a dozen times to get them usable.

Now that isn't the way Orphalese used to work. The "Spread Size" always used to dominate over the "Deck Size" - which I liked.

You're right in that I couldn't get an example of the really "OUTSIZED" cards I mentioned above! Perhaps those examples were cases when a Deck's size had somehow got scrambled?? It does seem to happen sometimes. I'll report back if I get another example of that. But in the meantime, I reckon this is still a usability problem. And Orphalese USED to do this BETTER!

- - -

3)This is to do with the Notes that can be put at the "Head" of a Spread, to explain more of what's going on in a more complicated spread. These notes are displayed as a pop up above the Deck, rather than any single card. And in the Save Dialogue they come out at the very top "box".

So using such a spread, just for example the "El Viaje del Loco", which I have shared, there is such a brief explanative note. And using a Majors only Deck with Appropriate notes and sorted in order, it gives you a "path" for all the cards - to meditate upon.... La di da, di da, de dooda! ....

Fine having DONE that and having CLOSED the Spread - GATHERED all the cards and NOW changed DECK to another Deck - just for example one of my my "Ling Qi Jing" Decks.

NOW with a Different Deck in place I do a "Ling Qi Jing" reading and go to save it - and lo an behold, there is the brief note from the "El Viaje del Loco" Spread!!

It's happening every time for me, so I hope you can verify it to your satisfaction!

Sorry this has been longer than the origina, but I had to be VERY clear...

Regards
MysticEast
MysticEast
Evaluation User
Evaluation User

Post by MysticEast »

Just been out with the Dogs and realized that there just might be another issue going on in 3) above.

In the example I gave above (and in many other examples of readings I save) I'm now almost always using Orphalese's Multiple Deck functionality. So to do the reading I mentioned above I will first GATHER the previous Spread, THEN change the existing Deck to a "Ling Qi Jing" Deck, but then I will ALSO open (as secondary) a "Ling Qi Jing Spirit Tokens" Deck, which does the actual CHOOSING of which card is my reading from the Main Ling Qi Jing Deck.

When I save I leave both Decks selected.

Now that "Spread Comment" comes from NEITHER of the "Ling Qi Jing" Decks NOR from the Ling Qi Jing Spread I used! That's the point.

It might just be a Multiple Deck issue, so I thought I'd better highlight this...

Regards MysticEast
MysticEast
Evaluation User
Evaluation User

Post by MysticEast »

Hi Richard,
(Richard the Merovingian - having been a very Busy Bee....)

I've installed the new Orphalese 10.1.1.2 and...
Thanks, Faults 1, 2 & 4 above fixed. No. 1 even though you said you couldn't identify it!!

Fault 3 remains however.

I've done screen shots of relevant "proof".

a) 22 card Tarot Deck with "El Viaje del Loco" Spread, which includes it's own "Spread Notes".
then GATHERED!!!!!
b) Switch to "Ling Qi Jing" Deck and open "Ling Qi Jing Spirit Tokens" Deck as Secondary. Spread "Ling Qi Jing" Spread. This screen shot also shows that the Ying Qi Jing Spread also has it's own "Spread Notes".
c) Saving that Reading, including both the Main and Secondary Decks. I've highlighted the "intrusive element" from the "El Viaje del Loco" Spread AND that everything else about the saved reading is fine...

I hope this helps you to find it
Regards
MysticEast
Attachments
C) Above
C) Above
Ling Qi Jing Reading 2 Save.jpg (138.34 KiB) Viewed 6703 times
B) above
B) above
Ling Qi Jing Reading Done.jpg (166.15 KiB) Viewed 6703 times
A) above
A) above
El Viaje del Loco Spread.jpg (174.4 KiB) Viewed 6703 times
Programmer
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Post by Programmer »

OK thanks! A picture is worth a thousand words, as they say :-)
Programmer
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Post by Programmer »

This should definitely be fixed in version 10.1.1.4 which I uploaded today. Maybe you can confirm it when you get a chance. Thanks.
MysticEast
Evaluation User
Evaluation User

Post by MysticEast »

Hi Richard,
yes I'm using 10.1.1.4 and this error is now fixed. I also note that the setting to not include the screen image, now also "sticks" and so that issue is fixed as well. Thanks.

Regards
MysticEast