Security Changes

Discussion about the Forum itself and other issues affecting users...

Moderators: Programmer, WebWeaver, WillowsHeart

WillowsHeart
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Security Changes

Post by WillowsHeart »

Hi all

As most of you are aware we have lately been subjected to numerous spam attempts. The spammers have been signing up as Evaluation Users therefore it has been necessary to limit this groups permissions. The following changes have been made (Evaluation Users Only)
  • Private messaging and e-mail have been disabled
    Posts will now be queued and approved by the Admin Team
I appologise that it has become necessary to take these steps and hopefully it will not slow things down too much.

Cheers
Van
WillowsHeart Image
Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead - Louisa May Alcott
WebWeaver
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Re: Security Changes

Post by WebWeaver »

Not sure if you have it setup to verify the email, but that will stop quite a bit of the spamming as well. <:o)
Shari
aka WebWeaver
Let's Talk Tarot
WillowsHeart
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Re: Security Changes

Post by WillowsHeart »

Actually we don't seem to be doing too badly!!!! The board settings catch most of the 'bots', anywhere between two and six per day!! It's the human ones that are the worst, only this afternoon I had to disapprove two posts by a new Evaluation User, blatant spamming at it's worst!! Hopefully they'll soon realise that their posts will never be seen and give up. I just hope that our genuine Evaluation Users understand why this needed to be done!
WillowsHeart Image
Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead - Louisa May Alcott